Turn any page into your highest-converting page with Welcome Mat. Welcome Mat displays a full-screen call to action that shows when visitors land on your site. Encourage your visitors to join your email list, check out your popular blog post … the possibilities are endless!
Here you'll find detailed documentation for Welcome Mat's features, customizing your popup design, configuring your popup based on display rules and behaviors, connecting to external email service providers, and more.
Double Your Email Conversion Rate
Many sites have seen their daily email conversion rate double or triple using Welcome Mat. Install it in seconds and start growing your email list, fast.
Completely Customizable Design
We make it look like you paid thousands to have a designer custom-build your Welcome Mat. Welcome Mat gives you total control of the background color, text color, text font, and more so you can completely match Welcome Mat to the design of your site.
Don't Forget about All Your Mobile Visitors
Welcome Mat is 100% mobile-optimized. Your mobile visitors are just as valuable as your web visitors, don’t treat them differently.
One-Click Integration with Your Favorite Email Marketing Service
The emails you collect with Welcome Mat transfer directly into your favorite email marketing service. Including MailChimp, Aweber, Get Response and many more.
Welcome mat is divided into two areas:
- Sidebar Menu - pause or enable the app, alter the design, add custom fields, configure the behavior and display rules, perform A/B testing, email service integrations, advanced form capabilities, and insert tracking pixels.
- Main Pane - contains the details of the specific feature section.
Welcome Mat’s setup and controls
Pause or Activate Welcome Mat
Toggles whether Welcome Mat is active or paused on your site.
Analyze your call to action’s success usage data and daily statistics. Download your subscriber list to CSV File (Complete list or the last 7 days).
Simple-to-use design wizard walks you through the configuration for both the "Desktop" and "Mobile" call to action.
Fields PRO Only
Upgrade to Welcome Mat Pro and create customized call to actions. Capture more subscriber data for your email list or CRM with additional fields including:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Zip Code
- Website URL
- Text Fields
- Radio buttons
- Dropdown menus
- Hidden Fields
Configure Trigger and Frequency. Optional features: Success Redirect URL, Pass Email Redirect URL, and Yield Tech.
Control where Welcome Mat shows on your site.
A/B Tests PRO Only
Create multiple popups windows and review detailed analytics for multiple tests and choose your most effective popup in every campaign.
Connect and send your subscriber data to your favorite email service provider list. Using Constant Contact for drip campaigns and Mailchimp for newsletters? Connect multiple services easily within Welcome Mat’s powerful interface.
Advanced PRO Only
Paste in your own completely custom HTML form code (created by you or a email service provider). Once activated, only the impressions are tracked, so Sumo's universal "Forever" cookie that's issued upon successful subscription cannot be issued and the frequency is the only way to control the form recurring to your visitors.
Tracking Pixels PRO Only
Configure Tracking & Conversion Pixels from all analytics software. Supports all tracking pixels including Google Analytics.
Your goal is to encourage a visitor to give you their information. You do this by creating a call to action with great design AND copy. Call to actions can have their own sets of rules to display on certain pages, from certain referrers, on mobile, or anything else you choose.
To get started, we’ll want to walk through each of the interface steps below:
- Display Rules
- Services (optional)
Design - Create Your Welcome Mat With Our Design Wizard
Your Welcome Mat is responsive and is designed to work for both desktop and mobile devices. Your Welcome Mat options are shared between the desktop and Mobile screens, just click on the tabs at the top to preview how it will look on both screens.
Desktop Screen Mobile Screen
Using our simple-to-use wizard, our popup builder customization features include:
- Select Template - Free users can only access the Default, Atomic, and Glass template. Want all templates? Upgrade to Welcome Mat Pro .
- Background - Customize with an image or color. Our templates are responsive, which means based on the size of the browser it is being viewed in, the background image will adjust to display as best as possible.
- Heading - Customize the copy, font, and color of your Welcome Mat heading. If you would prefer not to have one you can leave it blank.
- Body Text - Customize the copy, font and color of your Welcome Mat message. If you would prefer not to have one you can leave it blank. HTML is allowed.
- Button - Customize the copy and color of both your call to action and its CTA button.
- Opt Out - Customize the copy and color of both your opt out action and its button.
- Close - Customize the image of your close button that minimizes your Welcome Mat.
- Email Placeholder - “Enter your email address” or “ firstname.lastname@example.org ”.
Save Your Design
After you’re satisfied setting up your display, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your behavior rules, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
Defines when the Welcome Mat is displayed on your website. By default, Welcome Mat shows on all pages of your website.
Frequency determines how often your visitor will see your List Builder popup if they do not successfully subscribe. You can choose for your popups to "Always Show" to your vsitors no matter what, or you can configure the length of time between when your visitors are shown your popup window based on:
Welcome Mat has two additional display options for interacting with your site visitors:
- Do not show if already subscribed or clicked - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already clicked or subscribed through Sumo.
- Do not show if opted out - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already opted out of this app.
- Instant Landing Page - Removes visitors ability to scroll down.
Success Redirect URL
After a user successfully submits their information, you can redirect them to a specific URL, such as a special thank you page or a rewards page.
IMPORTANT: Be sure your URL includes “http://” or “https://”. Example: http://www.yourwebsite.com/thankyou
Pass Email Address to Success Redirect URL
An advanced feature when paired with the Success Redirect URL method, pass the subscriber's email address as a variable through either POST or GET methods.
When each visitor converts into an email subscriber, you will receive a notification within Sumo letting you know. You can see all your notifications by clicking on the globe in your Sumo admin bar.
Save Your Behavior Rules
After you’re satisfied setting up your behavior rules, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your behavior rules, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
Define where Welcome Mat appears on your website. By default, Welcome Mat shows on all pages.
Display Rules has 2 settings: “Show” and “Don’t Show”. One thing to always remember is that a “Don’t Show” rule will always take priority over any “Show” rules.
Rules can be created individually to work independent of each other or defined as a group to work as a rule set.
- Show Welcome Mat ONLY the homepage
- Show Welcome Mat on ALL mobile devices
- Show Welcome Mat on pages with THIS query parameter
Don’t Show Examples:
- Don’t Show Welcome Mat ONLY the homepage
- Don’t Show Welcome Mat ONLY on a desktop
- Don’t Show Welcome Mat on ALL pages containing an articles
Creating Multiple Rules
You can add as many rules as you want for all types of configuration on your website. See more examples of rule in action for mobile or desktop situations, specific pages and sections or your entire website.
Save Your Display Rules
After you’re satisfied setting up your display rules, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your display rule set, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
Collecting subscriber information is important - having is communicate directly to your third party service is ideal.
Connect Your Subscribers Steps
- In the Welcome Mat menu, click on the "Services" menu item.
- Scroll to your third party solution provider and click on the service provider's name.
- Click on the "Connect" button. The service provider's integration window popup will appear and ask you for authorization.
- Once logged in, authorize your account to communicate directly with Sumo Me's Welcome Mat.
- Select your service provider's list for subscriber data to go to.
Verify Provider is Connected and Activated
You should see a green "Connected" next to your service provider when successfully connected. If not, then the authorization didn't work. Check your account credentials and try logging back into that service provider account and retry the Connect Your Subscriber steps again.
Integrating Multiple Email Service Providers
You can connect one or many of the service providers we have listed.
For connecting each service, you'll want to make sure that the and select a list for each one to deliver the subscriber data to.
My Email Service Provider Isn't Listed
If you don't see your particular service provider, we recommend checking Zapier's Sumo service integration to see if you can use it.
Emails - Manually Access your Welcome Mat Subscriber Data
We're a big believer in having your data pushed to your list automatically, but if you don't have an email service, we provide you direct access to download your subscriber data.
Download Your Subscriber Data
- In the Welcome Mat menu, click on the "Emails" menu item.
- On the top of the screen, you will see an "Email Addresses Collected" heading. To the right of this heading, click on the "Download Last 7 Days CSV" or the “Download CSV” button.
TIP: Did you know we integrate with over 25 Email Service Providers (and growing)? See our current list of integrated third party services for Welcome Mat.
Active/Pause - Toggle your Welcome Mat
After you have configured your Welcome Mat Popup, you're ready to successfully activate it and begin collecting subscriber information.
Click on the "Paused" toggle switch in the upper left-hand menu to activate your Welcome Mat CTA. The icon should switch from a red "Paused" to a green "Active" toggle and the Active banner will appear when successfully activated.
Your Welcome Mat CTA is now active!
Upgrade to Welcome Mat Pro for seriously growing your email list from 20 - 50%+ more daily subscribers. Unlock the ability for A/B testing, NO branding whatsoever, and access to tons of gorgeous, ready-to-go templates, complete display control over where your popup shows, conversion tracking and multiple popups!