- What is List Builder?
- Setup & Controls
- Understanding and creating a campaign
- Create and customize your popup (subscribe and success windows)
- A/B testing popups in your campaign
- Adding additional fields to your popup
- Control your popup's behavior (when and how often it shows)
- Advanced Custom Form
- Conversion and Tracking Pixel Implementation
- Control your campaign's display rules (where they show throughout your website)
- Connect to your services
- Activate your campaign and test your popup
List Builder (legacy) is an old version of the up-to-date List Builder app. If you've just created a new Sumo account, head on over to our Getting Started with List Builder series of guides!
List Builder converts one-time visitors into lifelong readers and email subscribers. You work hard to get people to your site, the beautiful List Builder lightbox makes sure they subscribe to your email list and come back for more!
Here you'll find detailed documentation for List Builder (legacy)'s features, customizing your popup design, creating campaigns for your popups, configuring your popup based on display rules and behaviors, connecting to external email service providers, and more.
Catch Your Visitors Right before They Leave
List Builder's Smart Mode technology detects the exact moment when a visitors is about to leave. Immediately, a beautiful lightbox pops up asking for the visitor's email address.
Completely Customizable Design
We make it look like you paid thousands to have a designer custom-build your pop-up.
List Builder gives you total control of the background/button color, text color, text font, and more so you can completely match List Builder to the design of your site.
Don't Forget about All Your Mobile Visitors
You'd be surprised how much of your traffic comes from mobile visitors. For most sites, 30% of their traffic is mobile.
List Builder is one of the ONLY pop-up plugins that is mobile optimized. Your mobile visitors are just as valuable as your web visitors, don't treat them differently.
One-Click Integration with Your Favorite Email Marketing Service
The emails you collect with List Builder transfer directly into your favorite email marketing service. Including MailChimp, Aweber, Get Response and many more.
List builder is divided into three areas:
- Sidebar Menu - Primary Navigation for List Builder. This is where you will control and manage List Builder. This pane changes based on the Tab you are in. There is a Main "Home" Tab (Main App View), Campaign Tab (to manage your campaigns), and Popup Tab (to customize your popup).
- Top Menu - Quick Access Menu. Create a new campaign or popup, rename/delete/open an existing campaign or popup, or copy the current campaign or popup and create a new one by using our quick access menu.
- Main Pane - contains the details of the specific feature section.
List Builder Main "Home" Dashboard
Analyze List Builder's usage data and daily statistics. Download your entire subscriber list to CSV File (Complete list or the last 7 days).
View, create, and access all campaigns including their Status (Active/Paused), and Statistics.
View and access all popups including their Status (Active/Paused), and statistics
View, create, and access all your click trigger links. Click triggers are a simple way to make any link or HTML element on your website an object that can be clicked on to open a List Builder popup on your website.
Toggle whether your selected List Builder campaign is active or paused on your site.
Analyze the campaign's usage data and daily statistics. Download this campaign's subscriber list to CSV File (Complete list or the last 7 days).
Add new, existing, or duplicate popups to your campaigns for A/B testing. Review detailed analytics for multiple tests and choose your most effective popup in every campaign.
Connect and send your subscriber data to your favorite email service provider list. Using Constant Contact for drip campaigns and Mailchimp for newsletters? Connect multiple services easily within List Builder's powerful interface.
Create links that trigger your popup(s) to open anytime and on any page.
Simple-to-use design wizard walks you through the configuration for both the "Subscribe" and "Success" Popup.
Capture subscriber data for your email list or CRM with additional fields including:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Zip Code
- Website URL
- Text Fields
- Radio buttons
- Dropdown menus
- Hidden Fields
Configure Trigger and Frequency. Enable/Disable notification for subscribers within the Sumo Notification Center (globe icon on your main Sumo menu). Optional features: Success Redirect URL, Pass Email Redirect URL, and Yield Tech.
Use your own custom form code (created by you or a email service provider). HTML/Inline styles only, no JS or advanced scripting supported. Once activated, only the popup impressions are tracked, so Sumo's universal "Forever" cookie that's issued upon successful subscription cannot be issued and your popup frequency is the only way to control the popup's recurrence to your visitors.
Configure Tracking & Conversion Pixels from all analytics software. Supports all tracking pixels including Google Analytics.
List and manage status in all campaigns this popup belongs to as well as create new ones.Pause or Activate (Campaign)Design
Having a successfully optimized popup is not magic but persistence. Your popups can evolve over time based on assumptions, but are backed up with data used by running multiple campaigns. You can run these tests using multiple versions of popups in your campaign on your page.
In the Campaign tab of List Builder, click on the "Add New Campaign" button.
After creating a campaign or selecting a campaign to use, you will want to add popup(s) to the campaign for capturing subscriber information.
As long as you are in the "subscribe" state you're designing the view your visitors will see when they first encounter your list builder popup.
Using our simple-to-use wizard, our popup builder customization features include:
- Select Template - Access over 30 ready-to-go design templates.
- Template Size - Choose from Small (400px), Medium (512px), Large (640px), X-Large (720px), and Sumo Size (Full Screen) size popups. Popups will be the same size across ALL screen sizes and devices, unless your screen length/width is less than that of the popup. Go Sumo Size to make your popup Full Screen!
- Heading - Customize the copy, font, and color of your List Builder heading. If you would prefer not to have one, enter a space in the field to leave it blank.
- Body Text - Customize the copy, font and color of your List Builder message. If you would prefer not to have one you can leave it blank. HTML is allowed.
- Button - Customize the copy and color of both your call to action and its button.
- Email Placeholder - "Enter your email address" or "firstname.lastname@example.org".
Create & Customize Your Success Popup
- Success Heading - Customize the copy for your follow up success popup.
- Success Text - Customize the copy of your success popup. HTML is allowed. Text. HTML strings included.
- Success Button - Customize the copy of your success popup call to action.Text.
- Background Color - Customize the color of your popups background.color picker.
IMPORTANT: This is an alternative to the success redirect url located in your Behavior tab. You may use either the Success Popup method or the Redirect URL method, but not both.
Save Your Design
After you're satisfied setting up your design, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
Preview your Popup
Click the blue "Preview" button to see what your signup and success popups will look like live.
After creating a campaign or selecting a campaign to use, you will want to test multiple versions of your popup to see which one performs the best conversions.
- Add popups to your campaign - Select the "Popups & A/B Tests" in the left menu sidebar and click on "Create a New Popup" or "Add Existing Popup" button.
When creating or adding a popup to your campaign, we recommend giving each one a easily identifiable name for comparison purposes (especially when testing minor variations across popups). Click on the edit icon next to the current popup name to update the title to a more recognizable name.
TIP: You can add as many popups as you want to perform your A/B testing.
- Set popup status to active - Make sure each popup in your A/B test rotation's "Active" status is enabled. If enabled, the toggle will be green.
- Evaluate and adjust popup frequency - By default, all your popups are given equal display time to your visitors. Adjusting this slider affects how often the popup appears in the rotation to your visitors.
- Review campaign statistics and make adjustments - To view the ongoing success of your popups, you will want to regularly analyze the results.
Each popup's relevant data including:
- Number of Popups - How many times the popup is shown to visitors
- Number of Subscribers - How many visitors are subscribed to the popup
- Conversion Rate - How many visitors viewed and subscribed to your popup
- Statistical Significance - Measurement of the confidence rate for your popup
- Variance Improvement - Improvement on the popup's success
When creating your popup, you can add multiple fields to capture additional subscriber data. To do this, simply click "Add Field" and select the desired field from the dropdown menu. If you're using a service, make sure to check if you need to configure your lists to accept these fields.
Save Your New Form Fields
After you're satisfied setting up your fields, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
List Builder has two display modes for interacting with your site visitors:
- Manual - In Manual mode, you set a specific amount of time (in seconds) for when List Builder popup is displayed to your visitors.
- Smart - In Smart mode, List Builder uses on-page, advanced algorithms to determine the best time to display your List Builder popup to your visitors.
TIP: Smart Mode automatically detects when your visitor attempts to leave your website and displays your List Builder popup.
Frequency determines how often your visitor will see your List Builder popup if they do not successfully subscribe. You can choose for your popups to "Always Show" to your vsitors no matter what, or you can configure the length of time between when your visitors are shown your popup window based on:
If you would prefer to further customize when your popup displays you can choose from the following two options:
- Do not show if already subscribed or clicked - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already clicked or subscribed through Sumo.
- Do not show if opted out - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already opted out of this app.
Success Redirect URL
After a user successfully submits their information, you can redirect them to a specific URL, such as a special thank you page or a rewards page.
IMPORTANT: This is an alternative to the success popup. You may use either the Success Popup method or the Redirect URL method, but not both.
Pass Email Address to Success Redirect URL
An advanced feature when paired with the Success Redirect URL method, pass the subscriber's email address as a variable through either POST or GET methods.
Mobile visitors will receive an optimized "subscribe by email" option by submitting their email address.
When each visitor converts into an email subscriber, you will receive a notification within Sumo letting you know. You can see all your notifications by clicking on the globe in your Sumo admin bar.
If you're using multiple apps to capture email, sometimes they need a traffic cop on duty to police the user experience effectively. Toggle this feature to ensure your visitor will only see 1 popup per page (based on the first one they trigger).
Save Your Behavior Rules
After you're satisfied setting up your behavior rules, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your behavior rules, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.When your List Builder is triggered by your visitors is critical to it's success. Click on the "Behavior" tab to configure the when and how often your popup will display.
Paste in an HTML form to completely customize your popup. You should include a complete form that collects emails off-site using a service such as AWeber, MailChimp, or Campaign Monitor. Your service should be configured to redirect back to your site.
This form supports HTML/Inline CSS only. JS and any advanced scripting is not supported.
Preview your customization
To preview the changes for the List Builder, click on the "Preview" button on the bottom of the editing screen.
Conversion and Tracking Pixel Implementation
Insert any tracking and conversion pixel: IMG, IFRAME, or SCRIPT tag pixel(s) here.
After clicking into the "Tracking Pixels" menu, paste in your tracking and/or conversion pixel code into the appropriate box to send the conversion data insight to your service platform(s).
Implementing Google Analytics? See our comprehensive Google Analytics Sumo tracking pixel guide.
Define where List Builder appears on your website. By default, List Builder shows on all pages.
Display Rules has 2 settings: "Show" and "Don't Show". One thing to always remember is that a "Dont' Show" rule will always take priority over any "Show" rules.
Rules can be created individually to work independent of each other or defined as a group to work as a rule set.
- Show List Builder ONLY the homepage
- Show List Builder on ALL mobile devices
- Show List Builder on pages with THIS query parameter
Don't Show Examples:
- Don't Show List Builder ONLY the homepage
- Don't Show List Builder ONLY on a desktop
- Don't Show List Builder on ALL pages containing an articles
Creating Multiple Rules
You can add as many rules as you want for all types of configuration on your website. See more examples of rule in action for mobile or desktop situations, specific pages and sections or your entire website.
TIP: Check out our in-depth guide for using Display Rules effectively to show your app at precisely the pages you want.
Save Your Display Rules
After you're satisfied setting up your display rules, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your display rule set, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.
Collecting subscriber information is important - having is communicate directly to your third party service is ideal.
Connect Your Subscribers Steps
- In the List Builder menu, click on the "Services" menu item.
- Scroll to your third party solution provider and click on the service provider's name.
- Click on the "Connect" button. The service provider's integration window popup will appear and ask you for authorization.
- Once logged in, authorize your account to communicate directly with Sumo Me's List Builder.
- Select your service provider's list for subscriber data to go to.
Verify Provider is Connected and Activated
You should see a green "Connected" next to your service provider when successfully connected. If not, then the authorization didn't work. Check your account credentials and try logging back into that service provider account and retry the Connect Your Subscriber steps again.
Integrating Multiple Email Service Providers
You can connect one or many of the service providers we have listed.
For connecting each service, you'll want to make sure that the and select a list for each one to deliver the subscriber data to.
My Email Service Provider Isn't Listed
If you don't see your particular service provider, we recommend checking Zapier's Sumo service integration to see if you can use it.
Emails - Manually Access your List Builder Subscriber Data
We're a big believer in having your data pushed to your list automatically, but if you don't have an email service, we provide you direct access to download your subscriber data.
Download Your Subscriber Data
- In the List Builder menu, click on the "Emails" menu item.
- On the top of the screen, you will see an "Email Addresses Collected" heading. To the right of this heading, click on the "Download Last 7 Days CSV" or the "Download CSV" button.
TIP: Did you know we integrate with over 25 Email Service Providers (and growing)? See our current list of integrated third party services for List Builder.
After you have configured all your popups for your List Builder campaign, you're ready to successfully activate it and begin collecting subscriber information.
Click on the "Paused" toggle switch in the upper left-hand menu to activate your campaign. The icon should switch from a red "Paused" to a green "Active" toggle and the Active banner will appear when successfully activated.
Your List Builder campaign is now active!
Testing your popup live
Open a fresh Chrome Incognito Mode Window. Be sure there are no other incognito mode windows open. Go to the URL where your Popup should display to ensure its appearing. You may do a test signup as well to ensure things are working.
Tip: Incognito Mode Info, can link to the FAQ as well.