List Builder converts one-time visitors into lifelong readers and email subscribers. You work hard to get people to your site, the beautiful List Builder lightbox makes sure they subscribe to your email list and come back for more!
Here you'll find detailed documentation for List Builder's features, customizing your popup design, configuring your popup based on display rules and behaviors, connecting to external email service providers, and more.
Catch Your Visitors Right before They Leave
List Builder's Smart Mode technology detects the exact moment when a visitors is about to leave. Immediately, a beautiful lightbox pops up asking for the visitor's email address.
Completely Customizable Design
We make it look like you paid thousands to have a designer custom-build your pop-up.
List Builder gives you total control of the background/button color, text color, text font, and more so you can completely match List Builder to the design of your site.
Don't Forget about All Your Mobile Visitors
You'd be surprised how much of your traffic comes from mobile visitors. For most sites, 30% of their traffic is mobile.
List Builder is one of the ONLY pop-up plugins that is mobile optimized. Your mobile visitors are just as valuable as your web visitors, don't treat them differently.
One-Click Integration with Your Favorite Email Marketing Service
The emails you collect with List Builder transfer directly into your favorite email marketing service. Including MailChimp, Aweber, Get Response and many more.⇈ back to top
List builder is divided into two areas:
- Sidebar Menu - pause or enable the app, view & download subscriber emails, alter the design, add custom fields, configure the behavior and display rules, perform A/B testing, email integrations, advanced form capabilities, insert tracking pixels and create click triggers.
- Main Pane - contains the details of the specific feature section.
Pause or Activate List Builder
Toggles whether List Builder is active or paused on your site.
Analyze your popup's success usage data and daily statistics. Download your subscriber list to CSV File (Complete list or the last 7 days).
Simple-to-use design wizard walks you through the configuration for both the "Subscribe" and "Success" Popup.
Fields PRO Only
Upgrade to List Builder Pro and create customized popups. Capture more subscriber data for your email list or CRM with additional fields including:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Zip Code
- Website URL
- Text Fields
- Radio buttons
- Dropdown menus
- Hidden Fields
Configure Trigger and Frequency. Optional features: Success Redirect URL, Pass Email Redirect URL, and Yield Tech.
Control where List Builder shows on your site.
A/B Tests PRO Only
Create multiple popups windows and review detailed analytics for multiple tests and choose your most effective popup in every campaign.
Connect and send your subscriber data to your favorite email service provider list. Using Constant Contact for drip campaigns and Mailchimp for newsletters? Connect multiple services easily within List Builder's powerful interface.
Supercharge your List Builder and modify your popup at the source by pasting in your own completely custom HTML form code (created by you or a email service provider). Once activated, only the popup impressions are tracked, so Sumo's universal "Forever" cookie that's issued upon successful subscription cannot be issued and your popup frequency is the only way to control the popup's recurrence to your visitors.
Tracking Pixels PRO Only
Configure Tracking & Conversion Pixels from all analytics software. Supports all tracking pixels including Google Analytics.
Click Triggers PRO Only
Connect your call-to-action and links now to your popup anytime with click triggers.⇈ back to topIn the Sidebar Menu, you can access:
Using our simple-to-use wizard, our popup builder customization features include:
- Select Template - Free users can only access the default template. Want all templates? Upgrade to List Builder Pro.
- Template Size - Choose from Small (400px), Medium (512px), Large (640px), X-Large (720px), and Sumo Size (Full Screen) size popups. Popups will be the same size across ALL screen sizes and devices, unless your screen length/width is less than that of the popup. Want something a little bit more aggressive? Sumo Size your popups by upgrading to List Builder Pro!
- Heading - Customize the copy, font, and color of your List Builder heading. If you would prefer not to have one you can leave it blank.
- Body Text - Customize the copy, font and color of your List Builder message. If you would prefer not to have one you can leave it blank. HTML is allowed.
- Button - Customize the copy and color of both your call to action and its button.
- Email Placeholder - “Enter your email address” or “email@example.com”.
- Success Heading - Customize the copy for your follow up success popup.
- Success Text - Customize the copy of your success popup. HTML is allowed. Text. HTML strings included.
- Success Button - Customize the copy of your success popup call to action.Text.
- Background Color - Customize the color of your popups background.color picker.
IMPORTANT: This is an alternative to the success redirect url located in your Behavior tab. You may use either the Success Popup method or the Redirect URL method, but not both.
Save Your Design
After you're satisfied setting up your design, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.⇈ back to topOnce your visitors have subscribed successfully they will see the success popup as confirmation. Click on the “subscribe” button in the design panel to see your changes. All font and colors are inherited from the popup settings.
List Builder has two display modes for interacting with your site visitors:
- Manual - In Manual mode, you set a specific amount of time (in seconds) for when List Builder popup is displayed to your visitors.
- Smart - In Smart mode, List Builder uses on-page, advanced algorithms to determine the best time to display your List Builder popup to your visitors.
TIP: Smart Mode automatically detects when your visitor attempts to leave your website and displays your List Builder popup.
Frequency determines how often your visitor will see your List Builder popup if they do not successfully subscribe. You can choose for your popups to "Always Show" to your vsitors no matter what, or you can configure the length of time between when your visitors are shown your popup window based on:
If you would prefer to further customize when your popup displays you can choose from the following two options:
- Do not show if already subscribed or clicked - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already clicked or subscribed through Sumo.
- Do not show if opted out - Toggle "ON" and this popup WON'T show to someone who has already opted out of this app.
Success Redirect URL
After a user successfully submits their information, you can redirect them to a specific URL, such as a special thank you page or a rewards page.
IMPORTANT: This is an alternative to the success popup. You may use either the Success Popup method or the Redirect URL method, but not both.
Pass Email Address to Success Redirect URL
An advanced feature when paired with the Success Redirect URL method, pass the subscriber's email address as a variable through either POST or GET methods.
Mobile PRO Only
Mobile visitors will receive an optimized "subscribe by email" option by submitting their email address.
When each visitor converts into an email subscriber, you will receive a notification within Sumo letting you know. You can see all your notifications by clicking on the globe in your Sumo admin bar.
If you're using multiple apps to capture email, sometimes they need a traffic cop on duty to police the user experience effectively. Toggle this feature to ensure your visitor will only see 1 popup per page (based on the first one they trigger).
Save Your Behavior Rules
After you're satisfied setting up your behavior rules, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your behavior rules, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.⇈ back to topWhen your List Builder is triggered by your visitors is critical to it's success. Click on the “Behavior” tab to configure the when and how often your popup will display.
Define where List Builder appears on your website. By default, List Builder shows on all pages.
Display Rules has 2 settings: “Show” and “Don't Show”. One thing to always remember is that a “Dont' Show” rule will always take priority over any “Show” rules.
Rules can be created individually to work independent of each other or defined as a group to work as a rule set.
- Show List Builder ONLY the homepage
- Show List Builder on ALL mobile devices
- Show List Builder on pages with THIS query parameter
Don't Show Examples:
- Don't Show List Builder ONLY the homepage
- Don't Show List Builder ONLY on a desktop
- Don't Show List Builder on ALL pages containing an articles
You can add as many rules as you want for all types of configuration on your website. See more examples of rule in action for mobile or desktop situations, specific pages and sections or your entire website.
Save Your Display Rules
After your satisfied setting up your display rules, click on the green "Save" button on the bottom right of the screen. Depending on your display rule set, test your site using your device(s) or in new browser window, preferably Google Chrome in incognito mode.⇈ back to topCreating Multiple Rules
Collecting subscriber information is important - having is communicate directly to your third party service is ideal.
Connect Your Subscribers Steps
- In the List Builder menu, click on the "Services" menu item.
- Scroll to your third party solution provider and click on the service provider's name.
- Click on the "Connect" button. The service provider's integration window popup will appear and ask you for authorization.
- Once logged in, authorize your account to communicate directly with Sumo Me's List Builder.
- Select your service provider's list for subscriber data to go to.
Verify Provider is Connected and Activated
You should see a green "Connected" next to your service provider when successfully connected. If not, then the authorization didn't work. Check your account credentials and try logging back into that service provider account and retry the Connect Your Subscriber steps again.
You can connect one or many of the service providers we have listed.
For connecting each service, you'll want to make sure that the and select a list for each one to deliver the subscriber data to.
My Email Service Provider Isn't Listed
If you don't see your particular service provider, we recommend checking Zapier's Sumo service integration to see if you can use it.⇈ back to topIntegrating Multiple Email Service Providers
We're a big believer in having your data pushed to your list automatically, but if you don't have an email service, we provide you direct access to download your subscriber data.
Download Your Subscriber Data
- In the List Builder menu, click on the "Emails" menu item.
- On the top of the screen, you will see an "Email Addresses Collected" heading. To the right of this heading, click on the "Download Last 7 Days CSV" or the “Download CSV” button.
TIP: Did you know we integrate with over 25 Email Service Providers (and growing)? See our current list of integrated third party services for List Builder.⇈ back to top
After you have configured your List Builder Popup, you're ready to successfully activate it and begin collecting subscriber information.
Click on the "Paused" toggle switch in the upper left-hand menu to activate your List Builder Popup. The icon should switch from a red "Paused" to a green "Active" toggle and the Active banner will appear when successfully activated.
Your List Builder Popup is now active!
Upgrade to List Builder Pro for seriously growing your email list from 20 - 50%+ more daily subscribers. Unlock the ability for A/B testing, NO branding whatsoever, and access to tons of gorgeous, ready-to-go templates, complete display control over where your popup shows, conversion tracking and multiple popups!